Connect with us

Worldwide

Re: Cotto Coming Back After Year Layoff

Published

on

Re: Cotto Coming Back After Year Layoff
Miguel Cotto had a quiet 2016, as the Puerto Rican hitter chose to stay on the sidelines, and bide his time until the right opportunity arises.

 

Word is that he's chosen a time and place to get back on the fighting track. A source tells me that the 36 year old pugilist with a 40-5 mark will glove up on Feb. 25 in Texas, on pay per view against, the source said, James Kirkland.

 

Kirkland is a 32-2 lefty 154er who also took 2016 off, after dropping a match against Alvarez. Canelo steamrolled Kirkland in the third when they waltzed and Canelo went on to gain a UD12 against Cotto.

 

Cotto, who picked up crowns on four weight classes, last tangoed in November 2015, dropping a decision to Canelo Alvarez. Chatter had him fighting a few times, against a few foes, but he didn't lock down the third fight of the three fight Roc Nation pact.

I messaged a Roc Nation sports arm spokesperson to get a confirm/deny on the Cotto plans. I also emailed Team Cotto personnel and a Kirkland advisor, and will insert responses when applicable.

Trainer Freddie Roach hadn’t been told specifics of what is next for Cotto, but he did tell me this on Wednesday: “Cotto needs a fight, he’s been off too long. We were trying for a rematch with Canelo, but that’s not happening now. There’ll be someone who wants to fight us soon though. Cotto will fight again. He’s anxious to start camp. He’s looking forward to fighting whoever it is. Oh, and Mayweather is still on his list, too!”

Editor/publisher Michael Woods got addicted to boxing in 1990, when Buster Douglas shocked the world with his demolition of the thought to be impregnable Mike Tyson. The Brooklyn-based journalist Woods has covered the sport since then, for ESPN The Magazine, ESPN.com, ESPN New York, RING, and he was editor of TheSweetScience.com from 2007-2015. Woods is also an accomplished blow by blow and color man, having done work for Top Rank, DiBella Entertainment, EPIX, and for Facebook Fightnight Live since 2017. He now does work for PROBOX TV, the first truly global boxing network.