Worldwide

Door Still Ajar For Canelo vs. Kovalev

on

A few days ago, it was looking like the door was thisclose to shutting on a Canelo Alvarez vs Sergey Kovalev stunner showdown, which would see the Mexican middleweight champ try his lot at 175, and seek to secure a crown at yet another weight class.

Biting off more than he can chew, maybe?

I confess, I just didn’t think his crew would be game for this sort of risk-reward proposition. But his stones are apparently jumbo XXL…

An offer went to Main Events and one report said it was less than half what Danny Jacobs got offered to meet Canelo ($10 million guaranteed). It was looking like we’d hear a bang…a door shutting, and WBO 175 champ Kovalev cementing his deal to fight Anthony Yarde (No. 1 in WBO) in August in a home-town ho-down. But looks like that door is ajar.

Mike Coppinger Tweeted…

..that in play still is a Canelo vs Kovalev bout, indicating that the DAZN peeps are not open to seeing Canelo vs. Jaime Munguia next, and they’d be pleased if Canelo fought either Kovalev or GGG for the third time. Canelo, rumor has it, doesn’t want to rush into giving GGG a third crack, though we’d be exceedingly suprised if he (and promoter Oscar De La Hoya) looked to put both feet down and refused to fight the Kazakh. After all, the man knows who cuts those checks and the reason, the main reason, they looked to sign him to a gaudy deal.

Anyway, someone in the know said yes, the pairings of Canelo-Kovalev and GGG vs Munguia are plausible.

So, Kathy Duva promoter to Kovalev…how far ajar is the door?

“Door is still open,” Duva said early Monday night. “But closing soon.” Right; we’d think Team Yarde would need to know soon if they have a Kovalev fight date for Aug. 24 cemented. If he doesn’t get word, his head might explode? “I cannot speculate on exploding heads,” Duva cracked.

The Coppinger Tweet implies that Sept. 14 for Canelo isn’t a go for him versus Munguia, OK. But also out for Canelo vs Kovalev? Or, wait…Is there a possibility of a double-header, maybe on that Oct. 14 date the writer threw out there. That person in the know with good insight into what might occur said no, don’t be getting hopes up for this sort of double-header. And, to be clear, Sept. 14 is Canelo’s night, and that hasn’t changed, even if the foe slot is murky.

Makes sense….You stagger such big event bouts, and that helps keep the subscribers’ appetites whetted, and defeats churn.

But…one source whispered that they’d heard that maybe Demetrius Andrade could get a slot, against TBD, on the next Canelo card, against whoever it he fights. THAT would be a bit of a buzz lifter.

So, the game of musical chairs/doors is still afoot…

Comments

comments

About Michael Woods

Editor/publisher Michael Woods became addicted to boxing in 1990, when Buster Douglas shocked the world with his demolition of the fearsome Mike Tyson. The Brooklyn-based journalist Woods has covered the sport since then, for ESPN The Magazine, ESPN.com, ESPN New York, RING, and he was editor of TheSweetScience.com from 2007-2015. Woods is also an accomplished blow by blow and color man, having done work for Top Rank, DiBella Entertainment, EPIX, and numerous other organizations.

    Recommended for you