Worldwide

Demetrius Andrade Admits Frustration With His Promoters

on

Sounds like Demetrius Andrade is getting a bit antsy, a bit more twitchy about his lack of activity inside the squared circled.

The talented but oft sidelined Rhode Island boxer, now working at 160, has volunteered to sub in for Canelo Alvarez should the Mexican hitter be hit with a Clenbuterol Clampdown by the Nevada commssion at or before his April 18 hearing.

He appeared on the “At The Fights” Sirius/XM show Friday, which is hosted by ex heavyweight contender, the ultra affable Gerry Cooney, and jack of many trades Randy Gordon, ex editor of RING mag. And Andrade, who holds a 25-0 (16 Kos) mark, weighed in on the Clanelo situation, as well as his inactivity:

“I think it’s a sad situation … I don’t want to downplay the sport of boxing but if they allow that, that’s just bad for boxing. Bad for boxing man! And if the fight does go on,” Andrade said on the show produced by Josh Friedman, “I need to be on that card. I need to be the co-feature or the opening bout on that card May 5th because people need to see me.”

He continued, and put his heart out on the table: “Right now I’m having troubling times with promotions … I don’t have the best promoters out there. But are they good, have they been in the game for a long time, are they trying to do what’s best? Yes. Do I have the best, do I have the guys who have the clout? No. We all know that,” he said of Banner and Star, the outfits who co-promote him. “We all understand that. It’s about two guys that work their ass off to get in the ring, do what it do, make the most money, live a good life, everybody should get a shot at that. Everybody.”

Andrade maybe realizes he’s not a kid anymore. He’s 30, and the sad fact is that his peak years as an athlete may well be behind him. And he’s now looking to push the powers that be to hasten his way to the front of the line, toward a truly career defining fight.

About Michael Woods

Michael Woods

Editor/publisher Michael Woods became addicted to boxing in 1990, when Buster Douglas shocked the world with his demolition of the fearsome Mike Tyson. The Brooklyn-based journalist Woods has covered the sport since then, for ESPN The Magazine, ESPN.com, ESPN New York, RING, and he was editor of TheSweetScience.com from 2007-2015. Woods is also an accomplished blow by blow and color man, having done work for Top Rank, DiBella Entertainment, EPIX, and numerous other organizations.

    Recommended for you