Brooklyn born all star promoter Bob Arum staged his first effort in this realm back in 1966…but clearly, he still owns a zest for outside the box thinking in putting together events, these decades later. Arum wants to stage a tangle within a new arena, the political one, pitting the brash narcissist Donald Trump and Vermont socialcrat Bernie Sanders. Read this release Arum put out today, and then see who he prefers, Trump or Sanders…
LAS VEGAS, NV (May 26, 2016) — Top Rank, Inc. is ready to promote “THE HEAVYWEIGHT DEBATE:: DONALD TRUMP vs. BERNIE SANDERS.” The idea of the debate was first proposed on Wednesday night when Trump appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live, and Kimmel asked Trump if he would consider it. Trump's response to Kimmel was “We would have such high ratings and I think I should take that money and give it to some worthy charity.”
Enter Hall of Fame promoter BOB ARUM.
“It's the debate of the century between two of the top pound for pound politicians in the country — Mr. Trump, the Republican Party's presumptive nominee and Senator Sanders, the Democratic candidate,” said Arum, CEO and Founder of Top Rank. “We have two contenders ready, willing and able to go mano a mano over the most important issues facing the United States. And I am ready to promote it.”
Top Rank's proposal is as follows:
· Top Rank will negotiate a site fee from a major U.S. venue for the debate
· Top Rank will produce and distribute the debate live on pay-per-view throughout the U.S.
· Top Rank will distribute the debate via closed-circuit to establishments in the U.S., including but not exclusive to, bars, restaurants, and movie theater chains
· 80% of the net proceeds will go to the charity or charities of the candidates' choice, agreed upon in advance, with a minimum of $20 million being donated
· The moderator or moderators will be subject to the approval of the candidates, though Arum has recommended Secretary Hillary Clinton, Senator Ted Cruz and Governor Mitt Romney.
I asked Arum this after learning of his video for an all politician PPV:
My question: I have heard you voice your belief that a Sanders presidency would be disastrous in that he'd target Wall St and his tax policies would be confiscatory to the top earners…So would you prefer if given the choice a Trump presidency?
Responded Arum: “Hillary is by far the best of all.”