Connect with us

Worldwide

Ten Weeks Of PED Testing For Spence-Garcia Clash

Mikey Garcia and Errol Spence have both submitted forms and are fully enrolled in VADA testing ahead of their March 16 PPV fight in Texas.

Published

on

Ex Balco bad boy and current fair play advocate Victor Conte says that all systems are go for stringent testing, ten weeks worth, for the forthcoming Mikey Garcia step up to 147 clash against Errol Spence.


The SNAC bossman said that his guy Garcia and the Texas based Spence have both submitted all the necessary forms and are open to be tested at any time between now and March 16.

Fight sports watchers have had the PED issue front and center of late after the latest UFC event was nearly derailed by the PED positive of UFC top gun Jon Jones; he was allowed to fight on when event planners and testing bigwigs decided that the steroid found in his system was of such minute quantity that it wasn’t in the realm of being a possible performance enhancer. Before that, the issue bubbled up when the fighting Charlo Twins were AWOL when a test was scheduled by VADA, as part of the WBC Clean Boxing Program protocol; they maintained they were on the road, doing promotional work, while critics noted that those enrolled in the CPB are supposed to alert testers to their whereabouts at all times.

If that doesn’t occur, and people are allowed to miss tests with next to no punishment, critics say, the efficacy of the system is severely undermined.

Then, PEDs reared their shady head when middleweight Willie Monroe Jr popped positive for excess testosterone and was booted from the main event of the first PBC on Fox event, which unfolded Dec. 22 at Barclays Center.

My three cents: Good job by Teams Garcia and Spence doing the right thing, and having the stringent testing for their upcoming fight. Hopefully, we can get to a place where it is assumed that only a select few use PEDs to enhance their training, and that the vast majority of A grade players are juicing. As of now, people deep inside the business, some of them, maintain that maybe 75% or more of the top tier fighters use shortcut methods to be better.

Editor/publisher Michael Woods became addicted to boxing in 1990, when Buster Douglas shocked the world with his demolition of the fearsome Mike Tyson. The Brooklyn-based journalist Woods has covered the sport since then, for ESPN The Magazine, ESPN.com, ESPN New York, RING, and he was editor of TheSweetScience.com from 2007-2015. Woods is also an accomplished blow by blow and color man, having done work for Top Rank, DiBella Entertainment, EPIX, and numerous other organizations.

Sponsors