Sorry, you folks who had hoped to see if Canelo Alvarez could transition to 175 and be an ace there as well. Because, according to promoter Kathy Duva, of Main Events, which promotes WBO 175-pound chap Sergey Kovalev (33-3-1), the door is closed to putting on a Kovalev title defense versus the Mexican mega-star.
Fair to say we will be seeing Kovalev, age 36, glove up next against Anthony Yarde (18-0), the Brit, who is rated No. 1 by the WBO?
“Yes,” Duva responded. “Golden Boy just waited too long. Maybe later in the year? Hope so.”
Golden Boy, led by Oscar De La Hoya, has floated a few possibles for Canelo to meet next, in the next outing on his DAZN deal. The public had been thinking, by and large, that in the fall, Canelo would face off against rival for the ages Gennady Golovkin, after Canelo downed Daniel Jacobs, and then GGG shed some rust and defeated Steve Rolls. But Canelo is in the driver's seat, as the sport's top active star, and he's not inclined to re-up into a Golovkin scrap, for the third time, at this time.
Yesterday, Golden Boy executive Eric Gomez said no, his guy isn't digging in with both feet, and putting out word that he won't fight the Kazahk hitter again. That makes sense, as nobody thinks DAZN would have backed up the dump truck with that pile of loot if Canelo had informed them that he'd not be open to battling GGG again.
So, switching to the Kovalev plan, Aug. 24 is now signed and sealed and to be delivered as the site for Sergey's defense versus Yarde.
“Arena is already sold out,” said Duva, after I asked if they'd want to push back that date a bit.
Nope; full steam forward.