Heavyweight Steve Vukosa, 44, fights Mike Marshall to draw after ten in New Hampshire



Heavyweight Steve Vukosa, 44, fights Mike Marshall to draw after ten in New Hampshire

DERRY, N.H. (June 26, 2021) –- “Breakout” main event fighters Steve “The Gentle Giant Vukosa and “Fly” Mike Marshall battled to a 10-round draw atop a Granite Chin Promotions doubleheader Saturday night, at New England Sports Center in Derry, New Hampshire.

Granite promoted another day-night doubleheader, including a Pro-Am card during the afternoon sessions, highlighted by the semifinals of the inaugural “Granite Chin Invitational, featuring some of New England’s top amateur boxers.”

The ageless Vukosa (13-1-1, 5 KOs), a former WBC U.S. heavyweight title holder, who is actually 44, and Marshall (5-1-1, 4 KOs), the reigning New England heavyweight champion, battled to a 10-round draw and the NABA United States title they fought for remains vacant. (Marshall, left, lets one fly on Vukosa, above, in Emily Harney photo.)

It was clearly a difficult fight to judge as evidenced by the wide range of judges’ scoring: 99-91 for the 33 year old Marshall, 97-93 in favor of Vukosa, and 95-95.

“We had a dynamic day and night,” Granite Chin Promotions president Chris Traietti said.

“During the day, we had some of the top amateurs in New England and some local pros. At night, we had a packed house and entertaining fights. Although scorecards in the main event may not have reflected the fight, I don’t argue with the outcome, only the way we got there. I’ll talk to Steve and Mike and ask them if they want to fight again on our August 28th card. I’m not sure if Steve wants to continue fighting and Mike may be offered a bigger fight. We’ll talk soon and find out.”

In the co-featured event, former New England heavyweight champion Justin “Crazy Train” Rolfe (6-2-1, 4 KOs) outworked his Mexican opponent, Jose Humbert “Olimpico” Corral (20-27, 12 KOs) from the opening bell to win a decisive 8-round unanimous decision for the vacant ABF Atlantic heavyweight title.

New England welterweight champion Mike “Bad Boy” O’Han, Jr. (13-1, 7 KOs) retained his title with a workmanlike performance against gutsy challenger Tyrone “Hands of Stone” Luckey (13-15-4, 9 KOs), who was unable to answer the bell for the sixth round.

In what was unquestionably the Fight of the Night, junior lightweights Kevin “El Gallo” Rodriguez (1-1) and Dee “Outlaw” Venable (2-6) went toe-to-toe for four entertaining rounds of non-stop action. Despite being penalized a point for a low blow, Rodriguez edged Venable on all three judges’ scorecards by the identical scores of 38-37.

Undefeated welterweight prospect Denzel “Double Impact” Whitley (5-0, 4 KOs) floored Paulo Sousa three times en route to a third-round triumph by technical knockout.

Unbeaten Julien “Black Drago” Baptiste (3-0, 2 KOs) pitched a near shutout against Rodrigo “The Lion” Almeida (2-11, 2 KOs) for a 4-round decision.

Young welterweight Eric “Gladiator” Goff (2-0, 2 KO) used an old-fashioned body attack and then a right hook put Aquilando Brandao (0-4) on the canvas in round one. He beat the count, but it was ruled that he was unable to continue, resulting in a knockout for Goff.

An unanswered barrage of punches thrown by junior middleweight Carlos Abel Castillo (1-0) led to the referee stopping the bout late in the first round against an overmatched Jay Gregory (0-4).

Heavyweight Marco Nasciemento (0-2) was dropped twice and then he decked Dennis Ventura (2-0, 2 KOs) in a wild opening round. Then, Ventura dropped Nasciemento in the second and Nasciemento was unable to beat the count.

Lightweight Brandon Idrogo moved to 3-0 with his third knockout, needing only 50-seconds to secure a technical knockout of Tommy “T-Mike” Kenney (0-6).

Continue Reading