New York

Yes, Tom Loeffler Is Still On The Golovkin Train; Promoter Shares On His Role

on

Folks saw that Gennadiy Golovkin has signed on with Eddie Hearn and Matchroom and that spurred a misconception, in some quarters.

Tom Loeffler, the long-time parter with GGG, who has been front and center for the run up the ladder to prominence for the middleweight all-time all-star, is indeed still aboard the Golovkin train.

I spoke to Loeffler before the Thursday presser to hype the Oct. 5 showdown at Madison Square Garden pitting the 36 year old Kazahk against 33 year old Ukrainian pugilist Sergiy Derevyanchenko.

“I think there is a misconception out there,  Matchroom was announced as a partner with GGG Promotions, he still has GGG Promotions,” Loeffler said. And he, Loeffler, still has his promotional entity, 360 Promotions, and he still works with Golovkin on all matters boxing. 

“360 is separate from GGG Promotions, it’s there largely to build fighters, to then sign with GGG Promotions, on the bigger stage, to complement,” Loeffler said. 

“The GGG Promotions deal with Hearn gives access to more opponents, more dates, it’s strategic,” he continued.

Loeffler will be at MSG, and speak about the GGG v Derevyanchenko tango, then fly to Austria boxing, help out on a show unfolding at a hotel where the Klitschko brothers often did camps.

Loeffler noted that in returning to the Garden, that building will enjoy the presence of “one of the few that can sell out MSG, we are looking for full house Oct. 5.” The IBF’s 160 crown will be up for grabs on that evening, on a card which will be promoted also by Derevyanchenko promoter Lou DiBella. 

I noted that Derevyanchenko is no slouch, so there is no impetus for GGG to be fixating on Canelo Alvarez, and the third fight between him and GGG that most assumed would be happening sooner rather than later…or at all, if you believe the hints put forth in some quarters. 

“He’s not worried about Canelo, you can ask Canelo about that fight,” Loeffler said. “I think the fans realize why Canelo didn’t want the third bout now…and GGG is not concerned. He wins Oct. 5 and that starts a  second middleweight championship run. He had 20 defenses the first time….It will be a great fight.”

Comments

comments

About Michael Woods

Michael Woods

Editor/publisher Michael Woods became addicted to boxing in 1990, when Buster Douglas shocked the world with his demolition of the fearsome Mike Tyson. The Brooklyn-based journalist Woods has covered the sport since then, for ESPN The Magazine, ESPN.com, ESPN New York, RING, and he was editor of TheSweetScience.com from 2007-2015. Woods is also an accomplished blow by blow and color man, having done work for Top Rank, DiBella Entertainment, EPIX, and numerous other organizations.

    Recommended for you