Connect with us

Worldwide

Crawford-Molina Fight Is ON, Despite Molina Scale Fail

Published

on

Crawford-Molina Fight Is ON, Despite Molina Scale Fail
Mikey Williams snapped this pic

It looks like maybe John Molina got too much into the holiday spirit and indulged his appetite too much while training for his Saturday mega challenge against pound for pound ace Terence Crawford in Nebraska, and on HBO.

Molina, a Cali based hitter with a 29-6 mark, weighed 144 pounds, four pounds over the junior welter limit at the Friday weigh in. Crawford, was within bounds at 139.6 pounds, and holds the WBO and WBC junior lightweight straps.

Molina at the weigh in told Crystina Poncher of Top Rank TV he was scooting off to lose the four pounds. He tried to shed weight but was 143.4 on his second try.

So according to Top Rank exec Carl Moretti, yes the fight is on.

Will Molina pay for the pounds?

Maybe 20 percent of his purse to Crawford, for enjoying a weight edge?

“An agreed upon amount that was satisfactory to Crawford,” said Moretti. “We knew he was losing weight this morning but did not expect him to come in at 44 still.”

My take: WTF. What happened in camp? That isn't a smidge over…

Editor/publisher Michael Woods got addicted to boxing in 1990, when Buster Douglas shocked the world with his demolition of the thought to be impregnable Mike Tyson. The Brooklyn-based journalist Woods has covered the sport since then, for ESPN The Magazine, ESPN.com, ESPN New York, RING, and he was editor of TheSweetScience.com from 2007-2015. Woods is also an accomplished blow by blow and color man, having done work for Top Rank, DiBella Entertainment, EPIX, and for Facebook Fightnight Live since 2017. He now does work for PROBOX TV, the first truly global boxing network.