Worldwide

Derevyanchenko Wants Big Bout After Win Over Culcay

on

FOLLOWING HIS VICTORY AGAINST CULCAY,  
SERGIY DEREVYANCHENKO IS SEEKING THE BIGGEST FIGHTS IN THE MIDDLEWEIGHT DIVISION
 
New York, NY (April 17, 2019) World ranked middleweight contender Sergiy “The Technician” Derevyanchenko (13-1, 10 KOs), of Brooklyn, NY, was victorious this past Saturday night, April 13, against former world title challenger Jack Culcay (25-4, 13 KOs), of Davie, FL, at the Minneapolis Armory in Minneapolis, MN, taking home a 12-round unanimous decision. Scores for the bout, telecast nationally on FoxSports1, were 116-112 twice, and 115-113.
The victory earned Derevyanchenko, co-promoted by DiBella Entertainment and Fight Promotions Inc., the status of mandatory challenger for the IBF Middleweight World Title currently held by Brooklyn rival Daniel Jacobs. On October 27, 2018, the former Ukrainian amateur standout lost a hard-fought controversial 12-round decision to Jacobs for the vacant title at Madison Square Garden.
With Jacobs headed to a middleweight unification showdown versus Canelo Alvarez on May 4, Derevyanchenko looks to make a quick return fighting any of the top middleweights.
“I felt very good against Culcay; he was a very tough opponent, but I prevailed by listening to my corner and staying focused,” said Derevyanchenko. “I’m going to take just a short time off and return to the gym. My focus is staying active and fighting the best in the middleweight division. My fight versus Danny Jacobs proved I can compete with anyone. Now it is time to win a world championship.”
“Sergiy defeated a very game Jack Culcay on Saturday and proved that he remains one of the best middleweights in the world,” said Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment. “With the win, he is now the mandatory challenger for the IBF world title, and we will continue to seek out the biggest and best opportunities for Sergiy to compete against the elite of the middleweight division ASAP.”

Comments

comments

About Michael Woods

Editor/publisher Michael Woods became addicted to boxing in 1990, when Buster Douglas shocked the world with his demolition of the fearsome Mike Tyson. The Brooklyn-based journalist Woods has covered the sport since then, for ESPN The Magazine, ESPN.com, ESPN New York, RING, and he was editor of TheSweetScience.com from 2007-2015. Woods is also an accomplished blow by blow and color man, having done work for Top Rank, DiBella Entertainment, EPIX, and numerous other organizations.

    Recommended for you