Latest Boxing News

Kovalev Gives Ward Credit…To A Point

on

Sergey Kovalev seems to be coming around a bit and accepting, it seems, his Saturday stoppage loss to Andre Ward.

OK, maybe sorta somewhat..

“I admit,” Krusher posted on Instagram, “that Ward was better in rematch. I give him credit he did his homework with “A” and showed his professionalism and discipline. But he didn’t put an end to our clash. I fought with two people in the ring…I will be back.”

OK, so the Russian is still no fan of Tony Weeks. But he’s making strides; here he’s combining credit to the Oaklander Ward while still holding out the full monty, and implying the ref was the difference maker in the ending.

Notice he said “I will be back,” not “I want Ward again.” That’s probably best, as this promotion was beyond bitter, between Teams Ward and Kovalev. And my friend who has a contact in the PPV realm said bar business was crap, so that doesn’t bode well for overall PPV sales. Why not see what else is out there, get a bout that doesn’t have the side sniping element to it? Maybe best for Kovalev to lick wounds, regroup and set his sites on another target.

Comments

comments

About Michael Woods

Editor/publisher Michael Woods became addicted to boxing in 1990, when Buster Douglas shocked the world with his demolition of the fearsome Mike Tyson. The Brooklyn-based journalist Woods has covered the sport since then, for ESPN The Magazine, ESPN.com, ESPN New York, RING, and he was editor of TheSweetScience.com from 2007-2015. Woods is also an accomplished blow by blow and color man, having done work for Top Rank, DiBella Entertainment, EPIX, and numerous other organizations.

Recommended for you